- Do you get frequent sore throats?
- Do you snore?
- Do you get frequent throat or tonsil infections?
- Do you often feel large food get stuck in your throat?
- Do you spit or pick out smelly stones from your throat?
- Have you had an abscess around yourtonsil?
- The tonsils are two soft tissue pads located on both sides of the back of the throat.
- Adenoids are located high in the throat behind the nose and the roof of the mouth.
- Removal of the tonsils is called a tonsillectomy.
- Tonsils are removed when:
1. They become enlarged and lead to breathing difficulty and snoring
2. Tonsil infections cannot be successfully treated by antibiotics.
3. Persistent tonsil stones or tonsilloliths despite antibiotics.
- Tonsillectomy is an outpatient surgical procedure lasting between 30 and 45 minutes and performed under general anesthesia.