What Exactly is Nasal Valve Collapse?
Are you experiencing any of the following problems?
Trouble breathing through your nose?
Difficulty getting enough air through your nose during exercise or exertion?
If so, you may be one of more than 20 million Americans who suffer from nasal blockage which negatively impacts your quality of life. One of the causes of a stuffy nose or nasal congestion can be Nasal Valve Collapse.
When we talk about Nasal Valve Collapse, we are speaking about a breathing problem due to floppiness and collapse of the outside wall of the nose.
How do you know if you have Nasal Valve Collapse?
This is the most common question we hear from patients, family, and friends.
When you have nasal blockage, it is consistently hard for you to breathe through your nose.
A stuffy nose can be caused by many different problems and requires a Board Certified Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist like all of the surgeons at Beach Cities ENTS to examine and evaluate you.
One of the most common causes of nasal obstruction is nasal valve collapse. This results when a weak nasal cartilage collapses inward when you inhale. Sometimes you can even see the middle of the side of your nose suck in when you breathe.
You can try a self-exam called the Cottle Maneuver to see if you are a candidate. Take your hand and pull the skin of your face next to your nose in the direction of that ear. If that helps, you may have nasal valve collapse.
This type of nasal blockage often improves when you use Breathe-Right Strips. You can purchase these strips over the counter without a prescription. They strengthen and support the middle of your nose to prevent collapse and to help you breathe. But some patients get skin redness and irritation from these strips or simply do not want to wear them in order to breathe.
Which patients benefit most from a Latera Nasal Valve Procedure?
A Latera Nasal Valve Procedure benefits any patient who is a good candidate and meets the criteria listed below.
- You complain of persistent nasal blockage.
- Prior attempts at medical treatment including saline nasal sprays, steroid nasal sprays, allergy medications and different antibiotics) have not fixed the problem.
- You breathe better with the Cottle maneuver or the use of Breathe Right strips.
- Your Beach Cities ENTS surgeon has confirmed that you have nasal valve collapse which would improve with a Latera Nasal Valve implant.
How Does the Latera Nasal Valve Procedure Work?
We offer a new option called LATERA®, an absorbable nasal implant that provides added support to the collapsing nasal cartilage. The LATERA Nasal Valve Procedure may help you breathe better by reducing your nasal collapse.
The Latera Nasal Valve Procedure is an innovative, safe and effective procedure to repair collapse in the nose which makes it hard to breathe.
This procedure is performed through your nostrils inside your nose without any skin incisions.
After the inside of your nose is numb with anesthesia, a device is used to insert an implant in the proper position.
The implant provides added support to prevent collapse and open your nose so you can breathe better.
The implant will dissolve over months and form a stiffer scar for continued support.
After this procedure, patients reported better breathing through their nose.
Clinical research shows LATERA patients experience:
- Reduced nasal congestion or stuffiness
- Less trouble breathing through the nose
- Improved ability to get enough air the nose during exercise or sleep
- Reduced nasal blockage or obstruction
- Less trouble sleeping
With improved support in your nose and more space to breathe, you will breathe better and clearer during the day, exercise and sleep.
What are the Benefits of a Latera Nasal Valve Procedure?
Do you have problems breathing out of your nose?
Do you need to exercise or sleep with your mouth open?
Would you like to breathe better through your nose?
Do Breathe-Right strips help but you don’t want to wear them?
If you answered YES to these questions, a Latera Nasal Valve Implant may be the answer to your problem.
The Latera Nasal Valve procedure is an innovative, safe and effective procedure to correct collapse inside the nose and improve your breathing.
This specialized procedure should be performed by a licensed and Board-Certified Ear Nose and Throat specialist like all the surgeons at Beach Cities ENTS.
The Latera nasal valve procedure has many benefits.
- The Latera Nasal Valve Procedure takes 15 minutes.
- The implants are placed within the nose so that there are no skin incisions or scars.
- You have minimal pain during and after the procedure.
- You can return to work the next day. You can resume normal activity within a few days. Your restrictions after the procedure are shorter and smaller than after other nasal procedures or surgeries.
- Because the procedure is small and safe, you do not need any preoperative blood testing or evaluation if you are healthy without medical problems.
- After this procedure, most patients experience a significant improvement in breathing, sleeping and exercising.
- There are less follow up visits in our office than traditional nasal surgery.
- Your Latera Nasal Valve Procedure is often covered by insurance.
Your Beach Cities ENTS Specialist is experienced in evaluating your problems breathing through your nose. We can determine the cause of your nasal blockage and if you are a good candidate for a Latera Nasal Valve procedure.
With improved support of your nose and more space to breathe, you will breathe better and clearer. This can help you not only breathe better but also sleep better, exercise better and live better.
Call Beach Cities ENTS for an evaluation. Learn if you are a good candidate for this minimally invasive option to help you breathe better!