Voice, Airway, and Swallowing disorders
Dr. Rafii completed a highly coveted fellowship in laryngology at UCLA Voice Center for Medicine in the Arts, where he gained extensive experience in treating elite singers, actors, and other professionals with voice problems. He utilizes state-of-the-art high-definition video stroboscopy to visualize the vocal cords in detail with cutting-edge precision, click here for video.
Dr. Rafii also specializes in surgery for both benign and malignant diseases of the thyroid gland. His fellowship-honed experience in preserving the nerves of the voice box, in combination with his training under some of the best thyroid surgeons in New York City, makes him especially equipped to provide the best possible care for patients who require this type of delicate surgery.
- University of California, Los Angeles, 2004
- Bachelor of Science in Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology
- Magna cum laude, College Honors, Phi Beta Kappa
Medical School - M.D.
- Stanford University School of Medicine, 2009
- Medical Scholars Research Grant Recipient
- General Surgery, NYU, 2010
Residency in Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- NYU Langone Medical Center, 2014
Fellowship in Laryngology and Care of the Professional Voice
- UCLA Voice Center for Medicine and the Arts
- Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
- Director: Dr. Gerald Berke
Memberships and Certifications
- Board Certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology
- Member, American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Post-Graduate Fellow: American Laryngological Association
- Torrance Memorial Medical Center
- Providence Little Company of Mary Hospital
- UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center – Courtesy Staff
Foreign Languages: Spanish and Farsi
Dr. Rafii is fluent in Spanish and speaks conversational Farsi. In addition to studying Spanish in high school and college, he studied abroad for a semester in Sevilla, Spain. He was a hospital-certified Spanish interpreter throughout his surgical residency in New York City, where he worked with a high volume of Spanish-only speaking patients.
Personal and Family Life
Dr. Rafii was born and raised in Los Angeles. He received his undergraduate degree at UCLA and graduated from Stanford Medical School. He then ventured to the East Coast, where he spent five exciting but cold years in the heart of Manhattan, as an ENT resident at NYU. After nine years away from home, he realized that Southern California was truly the place to be, so he returned to his college alma mater, UCLA, for his fellowship.
In his spare time, Dr. Rafii loves to stay active, and plays tennis, soccer, dabbles in Martial Arts, and practices yoga regularly. He is also passionate about music; he comes from a musically inclined family and has played the piano all his life. Although classically trained, he has recently begun exploring jazz. Dr. Rafii is also an avid traveler and would love to hear your suggestion for his next trip!